Wheelock Associates Architects
Master of Architecture, Cornell University, 1999
Philip S. Wheelock, Jr. AIA, Principal
Wheelock Associates Architects was established to advance artistic quality & creativity, critical design, responsiveness to community needs, and enhancement of local character and sense of place. We are committed to an intentional, sustainable architecture in the interests of a fundamental rebalancing of the built environment within a finite natural world.
We offer a collaborative, client-oriented design process inspired by a passion for imaginative space, light,
details and materials of lasting quality.
Values & Culture
Our working environment is a balance of critical thinking, dynamic visual skills, rigorous programming and technical precision; we believe that no less is required to create truly inspired architecture. We promote interactive and collaborative communication skills in order to bring our clients closer to the heart of the design process and foster an intensity of creative energy that facilitates architecture of the highest order. We evaluate and prove our concepts by making them visible through a combination of hand sketches, physical and computer-generated 3-D models, and watercolor renderings. Comprehensive, detail-intensive CAD drawings and specifications provide for close quality control during the review process, accurate pre-bid estimates, and clear instructions to the contractor.
We believe that it is critically important that the owner, architect, and contractor work collaboratively in order to achieve the best results; accordingly, we are relentlessly team-oriented and bring contractors into projects early in order to establish and stay within the budget and schedule, and streamline the construction process.
Education & Experience
Philip Wheelock began his architectural education literally from the ground up nearly fifty years ago while working on residential, commercial and institutional construction projects in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, Texas, and Wyoming. Later, after obtaining his professional architecture degree, he began a postgraduate education in order complete a comprehensive study of architectural critical theory, define a set of core convictions, and create a distinct theoretical architectural vocabulary which would form the underpinnings of his work. Mr. Wheelock's advanced architectural education and building experience are keys to his dynamic, thoughtful design process and knowledge of construction methods and materials.
• Custom coastal & flood plain residential design
• Antique residential remodeling; post & beam construction w/ structural insulated panels
• Contextual exteriors combined with open interior spaces
• Innovative transitions between exterior/interior spaces
• Smaller, spatially-efficient floor plans w/reduced energy footprint
• Unique structural solutions utilizing reinforced concrete, steel & engineered wood framing
• Efficient, high-quality visual media skills from hand sketches to 3D computer modeling (BIM).
Wheelock Associates Architects was founded in December 2001.
• Operations commenced at Offices of Ira Rakatansky AIA, Rhode Island's original and finest Modernist architect. A legend.
• 2002 - Offices moved to Uxbridge, MA.
• 2010 - Offices moved to newly-renovated family homestead at 166 Henry St. in Uxbridge
• 2022 - Mr. Wheelock marked a half-century in architecture and construction.
© 2024 Philip S. Wheelock, Jr. AIA